Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mollie's Quilt



A few weeks ago I went into my local specialty fabric store to find just the right fabric to finish a project. I found it, and another fabric that I just COULD not resist. It included panels like this:



And this:


It was kind of pricey, but honestly, how could I not get two lengths of it? I know so many people who would appreciate this sort of fabric. So I bought it even though I had no project in mind for it. I knew, without a doubt, that I’d be able to put it to good use.

Quite serendipitously, a mere two days later, a project made itself known. A friend whose birthday was coming up has been spending some extra time on her couch due to various reasons. And she just happened to be one of the many people who I thought would appreciate this fabric.  The only issue was that I didn’t have enough on each length to make a decent size quilt, and I didn’t want to get more fabric (seeing as how my “stash” is still way to abundant). So I went to peruse my own personal store of fabric and found this:


Perfect! I thought. The cherries go with the 50s kind of style of the panels. And I had enough of it to make a 5 foot square quilt-enough for a lap or couch quilt. I put them together in alternating order and made this:

 
Since the blocks are big and the lines are all straight, I was able to finish the top fairly quickly, and now I had to decide on the backing. I checked and rechecked my fabric shelves and could not find enough of any one fabric for a backing. I have this idea that the backings should always be different than the front (sort of a two-in-one blanket idea), so in the end I did go to the fabric store, and found this comfy flannel fabric for the back:


Red satin blanket binding all around, and, Voila: Birthday quilt for Mollie!
She loved it, and so do her cats (what is it with cats and quilts, anyway?), and has decided to keep it on her bed even though it’s not a full size quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment