Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tea Time Quilt

I know I said I'd post about the Dr. Seusse quilt I made, but it has not reached its home yet, I will have to wait a bit longer. In the meantime-Tea Time!

Last week I was on Spring Break. And while I did have some student papers to grade, and house guests, I also wanted to do some sewing. I had several UFOs to choose from, as well as designs for a couple of new quilts, and some fundraiser quilts to make.
So, of course, I ended up making none of the above.
Instead I made this. I call it "Tea Time Quilt":

It is made in the "attic Windows" pattern which I have used many times before. It is an extremely versatile pattern as anything can be used for the "windows, while the frames may be done in left overs from other projects, usually. And the trick to the three dimensional effect is in the placement of the light and dark colors of the frames. Here's a close up:

I fell in love with the tea pot fabric at the store, and I bought a yard of it even though I didn't have a project planned for it. When I saw it again on my shelves last week, the tea pots made me think of lace doilies. I then found the cream and tan fabrics to go with it, and the lacy black and white. As I only had small amounts of the cream, tan and "lace" fabrics, I decided to make the Attic Windows pattern.
Then I found the black and white fabric, which, I think I had bought as backing for a different quilt, and decided to use it as the border. Which meant I needed a different fabric for the backing. Luckily I found a yard and half of this:

I put the whole thing together and used left over strips of the border fabric as the binding. I have been using fabric as binding more and more lately, as I use mostly straight-up 90 degree angles (which are much easier than acute angles, for example).

The whole thing came out to a lap-quilt size, and up up up it goes on etsy tomorrow.
And now onto the other projects....

No comments:

Post a Comment