Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Of plans and placemats


Sorry for my long absence; We just came back from a long trip. Yup, we took the kids and an RV and went on a trip to some National Parks. It was great, though hard at times, to spend such close time with the kids. We went to parks in California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon. I had brought my sewing bag with me with the thought of sewing in the evenings in the campgrounds. I brought two projects, a quilt I am hand-piecing and some cross stitch I am just beginning. Unfortunately, I got NONE of it done. Not a single stitch. I did not even take the bag out of the cupboard in the RV; there was just no time for it.
The sewing-related portion of the trip has to do with a wonderful line of quilt block kits that I found at one of the stores in one of the parks. It has reproductions of old Park Posters on blocks of fabric to use in quilts. I found a few of them in the gift shops, and more online at www.OldeAmericaAntiques.com, and I shall make us a quilt of our trip! I am really looking forward to that.
In the meantime, I also want to finish my daughter’s Bat Mitzva quilt, two charity quilts I am working on, and a baby quilt for a friend who’s about to become a Mama.
And for now, I give you-more placemats! I finished these before we took off on our big adventure, but hadn’t had time to post them.
One:


The batch:

 These are made in the Log Cabin pattern with fabric mostly from my stash (with the addition of some freshly purchased fat quarters) and are about 20” square.  For the back I wanted something different. This, I realize more and more is my usual preference. I don’t know if this is because I think it’d be good to have a different style to choose from, or because I am ready for something else, or simply because I run out of the fabric I use for front and need something else. In any case, my creations, big and small, often have different “flavors” on each side.
Here’s the back:

And now to finish unpacking and putting the house back in order even though what I really want to do is sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment