Friday, October 29, 2010

Mawwiage!

So as some people know, I got married a month ago. The wedding planning involved a LOT of DIY. We made our invitations, table decorations, programs, favors, etc. I sewed my skirts, and a friend sewed me gorgeous corsets. If you're interested in that entire process, go here: Wedding blog
While proud of all the things we created for the wedding (and it was indeed a family affair), the subject of this post is the Chuppah. In traditional Jewish weddings, the couple gets married under a canopy, which can be made of many things, and sometimes is made of whatever's handy (even a table cloth or sheet). I decided, of course, to make our Chuppa.
The main colors for the wedding were black, blue and silver and I knew I wanted something that looked dynamic, and somewhat unpredictable.
I'd been wanting to learn how to do Crazy Quilts for years, and have always been quite intimidated by them. A true Crazy Quilt is a piece with little or no organization, made up of bits and pieces of many different things (fabric, feathers, yarn, buttons, lace) over years of accumulation. This was too scary for me. Instead I found a pattern for a faux Crazy Quilt. It's got an organization, once you know what you're looking for, though the craziness still comes out in the lack of figuring out the fabrics ahead of time.
Here is the finished Chuppah:

I gathered scraps of fabric of the right colors, and bought 2 colors for what became the silver stars. I even managed to incorporate some of the fabric from my wedding skirt. That's the lightest, shiny blue. The silver is the only thing that went in predetermined places in the quilt. Everything else was mainly what I grabbed out of the bag at my feet at any given moment. It was great to make a scrappy quilt for which I got to use many fabrics that I already know and love from previous projects.

Here's a close up:

I enjoyed making this, much more than I thought I would, and I think I got the hang of Crazy Quilts. I may even be ready for the real thing, at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment