Sunday, February 20, 2011

Speedy Pinwheels

I love working on big, complex, challenging quilts. They inspire and challenge me, and are extremely gratifying. However, they do take a long time and sometimes I want a "quick gratification project". This is the sort of project that is fairly small, fairly simple, and which I can get done in a day. Most of these projects of mine end up being baby quilts, and this round is no exception.
Being enamored with pinwheels right now, it is no surprise to me that the current quick gratification projects are both pinwheelish. Pinwheels are fun, quick, and fairly versatile. Perfect.
Going along with my goal of not buying new fabrics, I went into my stash and came up with 3 fabrics that, I thought, go well together. This is what I did with them:
And a detail:


The combination of green and yellow makes this quilt non-gender specific and the animal fabric adds color without overwhelming the quilt. The strong green adds to the color and is, my thought is, limited enough to not overwhelm the piece either.  I don't have a plan for this quilt, though I may give it to my colleague who's expecting a child in May. If not, there's always Etsy. Or maybe I'll donate it.

The second quilt I made this week is from remnants of the fabrics I bought for my father's "Wild Horses" quilt.
  

And a close up:

This quilt goes with the outdoors feel of the fabrics, and the outer border of birds in flight fabric makes it, I hope even more "open". The back of this baby quilt is this:
I've had this fabric for years, and have not been able to find a project for it, until now. I don't know what I'll do with this quilt either, but I'm sure I'll find a home for it.
Now back to the long, complex quilts...

No comments:

Post a Comment