Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Variations on Monsters

A few weeks ago I posted about this quilt:
When my youngest daughter saw this she asked for one of her own. I was able to get some more fabric and I made her a quilt from it. This:

And a couple of close ups:

The challenge with this one was to have the two quilts "feel" different even though the main fabric was the same. For my daughter's quilt I chose bold purple and blues, which she likes, and created multiple borders around each panel. The original fabric has the thin black border and the first light blue one. After that I added 3 more, and then the sashing iin a different purple.

The quilt measures 55 x 55 and so is too large for a simple backing in a single length of fabric. So, I did one of my favorite things to do and made the quilt reversible, with patchwork on both sides.

Here is what the back of the quilt looks like:

I used more of those bold colors she likes so much, and the white and black fabric out of which I made curtains for an earlier incarnation of my study. Yay for re-purposing fabric!
I gave this to my daughter and it is now her favorite couch quilt.
Next up, making a THIRD quilt from the monsterish fabric, for my husband, who also fell in love with the fabric.

2 comments:

  1. Have just found your blog....and I love this fabric, where did you get it from please? Love the purple quilt the best. Hugs Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Naomi!
    The fabric is "Monsters in the Closet" by Sue Marsh (RJR fabrics). Our local super cvs has a fabric department and, much to my surprise, I found this fabric there.

    ReplyDelete