Thursday, November 25, 2010

Quilt for Shira

By the time Shira was born, I had already been quilting for a couple of years. Her quilt was one of the first baby quilts I made (I think the first one might have been for my cousin's daughter...). For Shira's quilt I decided to try my hand at a dynamic pattern, one that included movement in some way. I knew I did not want to have a super girly quilt; I still usually avoid gender-specific quilt color choices, unless I know that it would be important to the baby's parents. Also, for Shira, I knew I wanted something with lots of colors. The challenge, at the time, was finding a pattern that included lots of color but was not too chaotic. I needed something to tie the quilt together so it would not overwhelm a baby's sight. Taking baby sight into account I also knew some contrasting colors and/or patterns would work well. This is what I came up with:


The pattern is called "tilting stars" and in the book it had all of the stars in one color. I chose scraps to make each star a different color and put them in with the uniform white for cohesion and contrast. The purple sashing also helped tie the quilt together. A close up:

As it turned out, Shira was an extremely self sufficient baby. She spent time entertaining herself. She loved being on the quilt, looking at the different colors and patterns of the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment