Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Colors!

I make a lot of baby quilts.
Baby quilts are fairly quick, so gratification's quick. They are also symbols of joyous occasions, and are much appreciated by the parents as well as the baby lying on them. When I make a baby quilt it is quite often a mix of my current mood/fixation/challenge, my knowledge about the parents' likes and dislikes, and a kind of meditation on an unknown person. Sometimes the designs come easily and other times I have to ponder quite a bit. My baby quilts have ranged in color, size and design, and are always a product of me processing the various factors.
A few years ago, beginning 4 years ago, I went through a very colorful period. I made baby quilts that were lively (or loud, depending on your perspective), with high contrast and lots of elements.
As luck would have it, I had two nephews born in that period. So I got to make two extremely colorful baby boy quilts.
Now I hardly ever gender code baby quilts (unless I know this is important to the parents). When I started making the first of these two quilts, I knew I wanted something with an animal theme. Both of the baby's parents are biologists, and naturalists, and I knew this kid would get a lot of natural world education. At the same time, I wanted COLOR!
The answer? Animals and batik.



And a detail of the animal block:


I warned about the color contrast, didn't I?
I love this quilt, though it's not a color combination I normally use. I loved the dynamic nature of the colors. I think the parents loved it too, and I know they keep it in the living room.

A few months after this was made, another baby boy was due to be born. It was time for COLOR quilt number two. And this one presented different things to me. I wanted this one to be more uniform, to be dynamic without too many colors. I looked in some of my books and found a pattern that seemed right. I changed the colors a bit, to make more contrast, and this is how it came out:


Two shades of blue, a green and a yellow.  I like how they work together, and the combination of triangles and squares.
Detail:

This quilt was sent off to Israel, and I forgot to take a picture of it before it went abroad. Luckily there are digital cameras...
These two COLORFUL quilts are the most colorful I've ever made. They reflect a certain period in my quilting. I love them

No comments:

Post a Comment